I was so skeptical about trying this for breakfast. I mean, seriously. Oatmeal is supposed to be cooked, right? Well that’s how I was raised: cooked oatmeal with butter and sugar or brown sugar. Anyhoo, I decided to give this a chance and I was pleasantly surprised. I eat mine with fruit, granola, and mixed nuts .
- 1 cup of your favorite non-dairy milk, almond, cashew or coconut milk
- 1 cup steel cut (raw, soaked, and dried), old-fashioned rolled oats or freshly made granola (this is what I used)
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/8 cup chia seeds, optional but highly recommended
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ – ½ cup organic raw agave, honey, or maple syrup
- Your favorite toppings: fruit (fresh or dried), nuts, nut butter, seeds, protein powder, granola, coconut, spices, citrus zest and vanilla extract
- Add milk, oats, yogurt, chia seeds, vanilla, and agave to a jar or container and give them a good stir or shake.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 5 hours.
- In the morning, add additional liquid if you’d like.
- Once you achieve the desired consistency, top with your favorite toppings. I used fruit, mixed nuts and more granola.
Adapted from the Food Network