Upon trying to incorporate some vegan and raw recipes into my diet, I was very interested in experimenting with snack foods. You see, what I and many of us have an issue with is snacks, so if I could ‘arrest’ those bad snacks and replace them with the goods ones, then I would be ok.
Additionally, upon trying to experiment ‘dairy free’, I came upon this one. Once I tried it, I liked it. So now, I’m sharing this with you.
Now, I’d like you to know that I love this sauce. This is a:
- Easy homemade cheese sauce
- An easy nacho cheese sauce
- An easy vegan cheese sauce
- An easy mac n cheese sauce
- An easy cheddar cheese sauce (can pass for cheddar cheese)
- This is just an overall all easy cheese sauce
I love it and I hope you will, too.
- 1 cup cooked and mash butternut squash
- ¾ cup plain, unsweetened non dairy yogurt
- ¾ cup water
- ½ onion, quartered
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast (more or less if needed)
- ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked for a minimum of 2 hours
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- Salt TT
- Blend all of the ingredients in your Vitamix
- Blend until smooth and creamy occasionally stopping to scrap down the sides of the jar
- Transfer to a heavy medium saucepan
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon until thick. About 2-5 minutes
- Taste. If you’d like to add more of a cheesy flavor, add more nutritional yeast
- Store in a covered container in the frig. Will keep for about 4 days in the frig
If you’d like to add chipotle to the sauce, add ½ chipotle chile in adobo sauce when you blend the ingredients. When you’re cooking the mixture add more if you want a hotter taste.
If you’d like to add jalapenos to the sauce, add ¼ -1/2 cup of medium or hot jalapenos when you blend the ingredients. When you’re cooking the mixture add more if you want a hotter taste.
Adapted from Artisan Vegan Cheese